Kootenay Cycling Adventures was born out of a thirst for sharing incredible self-propelled experiences with our customers. We are a small and passionate team based in Nelson and focus exclusively on cycle tours in the BC Interior.
We believe in creating experiences that last a lifetime, and making a positive difference to our environment.
You’ve come a long way to get here. We’ll make it worth the trip. Providing you with an experience that you’ll talk about for years to come is why we exist. This place is equal parts breathtaking and inspiring – we believe that it deserves to be shared with others.
Although cycling is definitely a “green” form of transportation and traveling on its own, we’re working toward taking our efforts to another level by supporting partners that are actively restoring the environment. It’s our hope that our tours provide our customers with memorable experiences while working together to do good. That’s something we can all get behind!
Meet the Owner & Guide!
Founder & Chief Cyclist, Kootenay Cycling Adventures
It’s no coincidence that John launched a cycle tour business in the Kootenays. Ever since he was developing off the wall ales at a craft brewery in Toronto, he’s been helping others to create memorable experiences. After co-founding Toronto Beer Week, John moved west and took the reins of an educational non-profit in Banff for five years.
He led a variety of tours and interpretive experiences (that’s park lingo for educational) then did what any sane 30 something would do; leave his job and cycle the world. Together with his pedalling partner Heather, John cycled more than 7000km in Patagonia, Europe, Cuba and Canada before starting Kootenay Cycling Adventures.
Some of John’s credentials include:
- BA in Canadian History and Canadian Studies (McGill University)
- Currently a candidate for an MA in Interdisciplinary Studies (Royal Roads University) with a concentration in Tourism Studies and Environmental Education/Communication
- Executive Director of Banff Heritage Tourism, educational non-profit in Banff National Park, for 5 years
- Accomplished cyclist, including 5000km self-supported trip from Barcelona to Oslo, 1200km self-supported trip of the Carretera Austral in Chilean Patagonia, and multiple routes in Cuba and Canada
- Led a variety of multiday cycling, paddling and hiking trips in Canada
- Occupational First Aid
- Freelance writer for Nelson & Kootenay Lake Tourism and Whitewater Ski Resort
For more details and stories about John’s travels, visit his personal website.